Sponsus move issues

First, awesome job! Really looking forward to the subscription ability.

I joined Sponsus and became a sponsor. Took me
a while to see that you needed to do an extra action in order to get immediate access to the features instead of waiting until September - you might want to alert people about that, for everyone as oblivious as I was.

Even sponsoring and paying for August, though, I get an error message whenever I use the subscription toggle. Doesn’t matter if it’s for a series or an author,
I get a pop up saying “ERROR! Either author or series needed!” and the toggle is reset to off the next time I look.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

Looks like I can successfully use the subscription toggle that shows up in authors’ icons. Still can’t figure out how to sub series.

1 Like

@meatheadosis

Thank you for sponsoring us! I really appreciate that!

With “you needed to do an extra action in order to get immediate access to the features” you mean that you have to link the accounts? Because that’s all you need to do, you don’t have to pay for August in advance - I actually allow the features to be used as soon as you’ve subscribed to a tier, even if you haven’t paid anything yet.

I was thinking about explaining that, but I was afraid that I’m too wordy already. But I’m willing to listen, so please let me know what you think I should write to make it clearer.

About you subscription problem: That was a bug (last second change, as always), that I’ve fixed about 15 minuted ago. It should work now.

You can subscribe to a series either on the main page listing:

or

Or if you open a series and get the list of all its chapters:

(This second option was bugged until 15 minutes ago…)

Let me know if you have any more questions, I’ll be more than happy to help!

Awesome set of updates @Corin. The new subscribe to options are great, and the integration with Sponsus is very well-done

1 Like

I am having issues with having this site recognize the link to Sponsus. I used the same name and I am not sure why things don’t link. I thought maybe it was a payment issue but I see the first cost in my bank account meaning it was sent and accepted. So yeah, there is an issue.

What exactly happens when you try to link the accounts? Can you make some screenshots? Or even better, contact me on Discord so we can figure this out together?

I don’t use Discord sorry. But I will try and get pictures.

That said, I wonder if its maybe because I did the “chosoe your own amount” option (as I wanted 5) and not an actual declared level.

No, that shouldn’t be an issue. You must still be able to link the account. At “best”, GSS might not recognize your tier and claim that the account is linked but that you don’t have any active sponsorship.

Then I (or the guys from Sponsus) have to work on this, though.

This is the reuslt when I try and link. That said i do know I am an active sponsor.

Ah, yes. Oh well.

Then it’s exactly as you say.

Cancel the subscription and start a new one, this time start with the $3 tier - you can still enter a custom sum.

So you MUST choose a tier, otherwise you’re not recognized as a proper sponsor.

I have to ask Sponsus if it’s possible to disable the custom option (without any tier) alltogether. It doesn’t make any sense to me!

This is frustrating as I don’t want to pay that tier’s amount. And yes, me being annoyed by saving money is weird but still. By the way Patreon allows the modification of how much one gives so its not surprising Sponus does as well.

Oh, and of course thank you for your generous sponsorship! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You should be able to enter a custom amount AFTER selecting that tier, right? At least that’s what I remember from my tests…

Nope. Once you select a tier it locks the amount in. No changing the amount given. Which is why I did the custom tier.

I see. I have to talk with the Sponsus guy then. He’s very forthcoming.

So please stick to the $3 tier for now, I’ll give you an update as soon as I’ve got an answer from the guy!

Hi @Heru_Kane

I had a talk with the creator of Sponsus. He explained to me why it is like this, and even we couldn’t agree on that, he promised to add a feature to the API I’m using to integrate the two sites that will allow me to recognize a case like yours and react correctly.

I’m not sure when this will be done, but as I understand him, quite soon. So maybe it even works by tomorrow, if we’re lucky.

Less a Technical issue and more of a personal one:

I am NOT willing to offer commissions, but I would love to be able to have the option to send GSS more funds under a lower tier, this doesn’t seem to currently be possible, as I had tried while on the Sponsus side of the internet. I don’t want to cause Martin any undue extra headaches as this is a very busy transitionary period and my ‘issue’ is not really a problem, more of a preference that might resonate with other GSS people. I understand if this would not be a priority, or if it is not deemed an issue at this time or at all, it was just a bit of a downer when I signed up.

I already talked with the Sponsus developer about that. He doesn’t want to allow customize the sponsoring amount for a given tier. If you want to give a custom amount, you’d have to select “custom directly”, where you can choose any custom amount.

But then my integration doesn’t detect the tier anymore and the additional functions are not enabled.

Actually, I do get the amount someone is sponsoring, and I’d have to use this value instead to calculate the proper tier myself. Which is … well, possible, but unexpected. Especially since I don’t want to hard code the tier values into my code.

However, it’s probably the only way. Just give me a couple of days to find some time to implement this.

Ok, I’ve changed the integration so it will now properly detect a custom amount too and grant you the appropriate rewards on GSS.

Should also work for @Heru_Kane, of course.

And thank you for sponsoring GSS! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like