Site updates

hey martin! I have an old phone too, and it’s still not showing up, but honestly it’s also not a big deal either. Landscape mode does fix the issue though. I hope you don’t break your back or anything trying to fix it! Maybe it’s only a problem on older phones or something, no biggie.

I think I’ve got it now. Please try again.

And now the main menu (“hamburger menu”) should be usable and scrollable as well, no matter how small the device is. Let me know, if it works for you, please.

Yes, it works! Martin you are a wizard. Thanks for all your hard work. I hope the fix didn’t give you too much trouble, I never wanted you to break your back over it or anything, god forbid!

1 Like

Would you consider having an old story featured on the front page every day/week/month? Due to having no ranking system and only being able to filter stories by tags it can cause old stories to just get brushed under the rug or be difficult to find. I used to go page by page looking at old stories but I tend to lose my place or get tired of it. I think randomly featuring an old story once every while would be a good way to generate some traffic to old, forgotten stories and allow some people to discover some older gems especially if they’re newer to the site. It also sucks that it’s so hard to look at the older stories as you have to slowly go through 2 pages at a time when the site has 268 pages of stories.

Another suggestion that would be nice to see would be recommendations on stories. Tags aren’t always the most reliable or specific and it would be nice to be able to scroll through a page of recommendations after finding a story with an idea that you really enjoyed. Maybe there could be a short sentence on why that person recommended this story and how many people recommended the same thing. It would make it easier for people to find the stories they like or discover new ones.

I hope these suggestions are helpful! I also have to say, I really love what you’ve done to this site. I remember thinking that nothing much would change when you became the host and boy was I wrong. It’s been amazing going onto this website and being shocked with each new change. Thank you so much for putting so much time and effort into this site. It’s been amazing to watch :slight_smile:

Thanks for your suggestions, they are more than welcome (all feedback is, then I know I’m not doing any of this for nothing).

Actually, I’ve taken your posting to start a new thread where I’m talking about this issue. I’d like to refer you to it, to continue this discussion, because this thread is not the best place for it.

So please continue here:

The current implementation of jumping to the last part of a series misses two important details: a) Have I already read this last part (the icon does not change its color when already visited)? and b) Is the last part really the last one if not read yet (e.g. when two new parts are posted at once).

The [5] [6] in the graphical mock-up (comment 53) give both of this information. They also make the book icon with the total number of parts superfluous. As much as I like beautiful icons – if they hide information just for decoration, they are of no use.

Counter argument for “But then don’t we need links to every part?”: That’s not needed, because the latest two give you enough information whether it’s better to visit the series page.

I understand your issues, but I don’t want to overload the user interface and it has to be intuitive to be used. Numbered badges are a bit ambiguous, imo.

If you have read the update at all can be seen with the green star (unless you’ve disabled localStorage, but sorry… I don’t see the big difference between localStorage and the storage of ‘visited’ state). And the series details use normal links and I’ve actually spent quite some time to find a nice :visited color for the links in all themes (since Bootstrap, by default, doesn’t use a different color for :visited).

I’ll think about a solution, but no promises.

Never mind. I tried the site without clearing the cookies and website data at the end of my browser session. With local storage and cookies it’s perfectly usable. So I just accept that wanting to protect my privacy simply has some trade-offs for me. (With a different visited color only I see that I’ve been on this page before, without the website owner knowing it – that’s the difference between them)

Actually, there are techniques to abuse the visited data to create a user profile out of it (people are VERY inventive if it’s about earning money). That had been discussed a couple of years ago. But I don’t want to be a wise-guy. Glad that you found a workable solution.

I totally understand the need for privacy, but I also - as a website designer - understand that technologies like Cookies are mostly not used maliciously but to improve functionality. Unfortunately, some companies abuse them. But I don’t, so as long as you don’t accept third party Cookies, you’rte safe at GSS. And you’re absolutely free to look over my shoulder (i.e. feel free to inspect all cookies, LocalStorage or whatever else you’d like to check :slight_smile: )

There’ll be a small surprise coming next Wednesday (Sep 19th). I hope you like it.

Is it you giving us our own hypnotized boy, because that would be awesome!!

Hehe

1 Like

Lol… what makes you think that I’ll give my hypnotized boy away?!

Also… as you probably know by now, being that hypnotized boy myself would be even more desirable for me! :drooling_face:

BTW, a small update was just uploaded (in preparation for Wednesday), which changes the date shown on old stories to the date of their original publishing (not the date they were imported into GSS, which was shown previously). The oldest stories date back to 2005!

2 Likes

Speaking of dates, is it possible to get the dates in an international format (either by default or user-controllable)? D-M-Y and the American date format are easy to confuse. With something like Y-M-D, even if people aren’t used to it, there’s absolutely no ambiguity in the date. Either that or maybe write out the month as a word. That makes it unambiguous as well.

gActually, the reason I’ve changed the date format just a couple of weeks ago is that the previous format was very unnatural for European or German eyes.

Currently, it is supposed to follow the settings of your browser or OS to display the date in the proper format (and also the time should now be correctly based on your local time zone).

How does the date loon on your browser currently? Could you maybe make a screenshot?

I wasn’t even aware that dates followed the browser’s language settings. I checked and unfortunately, Chrome doesn’t seem to support the idea of setting date format separately from the language, nor does it have any option to follow the system format or ISO standard. Right now, I’m set to English (Canada) in Chrome, which gives “17/09/18 2:29 PM”. The same date following my system preferences would be “2018-09-17 2:29 PM”.

The fact that Chrome doesn’t allow this isn’t your issue, though. :slight_smile: I’ll see if I can find some other way around it.

As a matter of fact, the setting that matters in Chrome is “Language” (technically the “accept-language” http header).

You can influence the date format using that setting. For example, English (Canadian) will swap month and day in the output.

English (South Africa) actually uses yyyy/mm/dd, which is close to what you’re looking for.

Anyway, using that header was an easy solution for me. If it’s really required, I could add a setting in the user profile as well…

Wow, just because I’ve written a larger comment myself today, I finally realized that Markdown isn’t shown properly for comments at all. And noone told me! Tsk tsk… :slight_smile:

Fixed that. And as you might have noticed, I haven’t been able to keep my hands from fiddling with the site’s code in the last couple of weeks. Must be another kink of mine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2018-09-30

• Fixed Markdown for comments
  • Improved account handling (reset password etc.)
  • Countless other little improvements and tweaks here and there
2 Likes

I am logged in, but none of the stories are available to read. It just shows them, but nothing works to open them

What device are you using for browsing the site? Can you send me a screenshot of how it looks on your system?

Does anybody else have similar issues?

I’m using Chrome on a Windows 10 desktop and I’m having no issues. I tried single-chapter and multi-chapter stories, as well as checking the newest stories and the archive stories, and everything worked fine for me.

(Edit: it occurred to me after posting that you might want to only hear from people who are having problems. If you want to delete this to prevent the “me too” phenomenon, feel free to do so.)