Site updates

At first I thought the new colour was an error on my phone’s browser lol

It looks slick.

Today’s update is the result of some great work by our user Foxtrotter who’s worked on some really nice icons for our ratings in the last weeks. I love the design, especially the chained brain … and the icons are all ours now (the previous icons were taken from a public icon library).

If you can come up with a better label for the rating categories (like ‘Wanking material’), please don’t hesitate to write them here in this thread. I’m not really happy with some of them.

2018-02-04

• Redesigned rating widget with icons designed by Foxtrotter
  • Created a separate design for the rating widget for small mobile devices
  • Added a ‘clear’ button to the rating widget

By the way, the “stories of the month” and “stories from the archives” features are coming, but I’m on vacation for the next weeks, so those will have to wait until mid of march.

2 Likes

Enjoy your vacation, Martin! Will there still be someone around to approve stories, however? :smiley:

Thanks!

And yeah, the others on the admin team will be happily reading and approving all the new stories. And I’m not in the jungle, so I should have internet access, too, most of the time. :wink:

Great job implementing the icons, especially on mobile. If possible, increasing the space between the different categories on PC would improve the aesthetics.

If someone has any feedback on the rating icons themselves, I’ll be happy to take that feedback into account and improve them.

Better now? :slight_smile:

(make sure to use Ctrl-F5!)

Yup! Looks great.

On an unrelated note, in regards to the name of the categories.

Couldn’t you say that “Wanking material” and “Hot” mean the same thing? If so – it might be wise to replace the fire with the dick (or keeping the fire, if you prefer that icon) and removing the “Wanking material” category. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where something is hot but not wanking material, if that makes sense.

Of course I had my doubts about “hot” vs. “cumming”. Still, for me a hot story doesn’t necessarily mean that I could wank to it. So I’d rather keep those separated. If someone thinks it’s just the same for him, he can still just set it to the same value.

Just a short notice that I’ve enabled ssl (https:) for the forum. Since browsers are going to mark “unsave” sites which don’t use https: I thought this should be done now.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t believe it, but I finally got around to work on the site again:

2018-07-20

• Comments added since the last visit are now marked in green
  • New option for authors to list comments for their own stories
  • Fixed change password dialog
  • Fixed editing of stories for anonymous authors
  • Added a warning when submitting a story without being logged in
  • Fixed management and deletion of accounts (admin dialog)

I hope you like the new feature to mark new comments and to filter comments for own stories. This has been requested frequently.
Please let me know if it doesn’t work properly, especially the marking of new comments.

And I can’t believe that the “change password” dialog just didn’t work all this time… I just realized that when I was emulating a change for myself accidentally. Guys, please let me know if there’s such a glaring bug on the site!

Also, I finally fixed that editing of stories for anon authors. This was also causing a lot of puzzled new authors. Even though I’d rather see that every author is actually using an account. I’ve added a warning, if someone submits a story without being logged in.

But maybe I even restrict submitting to people with an account. What do you think? Without an account, so many functions are not available to the authors… It’s a pity not to be able to use them.

3 Likes

Excellent!

I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask authors to make an account if they wish to submit stories. It’s a simple enough process.

2 Likes

Added another quite obvious improvement:

2018-07-21

• New stories since the last visit are now marked on the main page as well (with a green star next to the title)

Hope you like it!
Next is checking up on all the small bugs here and there and then I’ll go into the “Markdown” feature. I’m really looking forward to do that.

I just wanted to say I like the stars, but be sure to avoid the color combination of Green/Red and Blue/Yellow. For those of us who are color blind we can’t tell the difference.

The star won’t be shown at all for older story, so the color shouldn’t be a problem.

Mabye the confusion is caused because of the fact, that on the first visit after I’ve introduced that feature, all stories (and comments) are marked as new. Only after the next visit, only the stories and comments which were created while you haven’t looked at the site will be marked.

To see that, you have to close your browser and visit the site again. Then you’ll see that all marks are gone.

But thanks for the reminder to think about people with difficulties seeing colors. And keep reminding me, if I should screw up :slight_smile:

Today’s update:

2018-07-25

• Added support for Markdown
  • Redesigned the story submission dialog
  • Added code to prevent injection of invisible HTML malware (sanitizer)

Actually, part of this was already deployed in the last days. So if you saw some change in how the stories were displayed, you now know why… :slight_smile:

1 Like

2018-07-28

• Fixed the generation of horizontal rulers
  • “Automatically generate clickable” on the story submission page now defaults to “off”, since it doesn’t work well with Markdown links.
  • Fine tuned the formatting of story text
  • Fixed and optimized pager bar for mobile devices

Putting three asterisks (***) in an otherwise empty line is the preferred way to separate story parts. It will rendered as a line that separates the paragraphs.

If you want to put links in your text, Markdown is the preferred way, it’s much more flexible. See here for help: Markdown Reference

I’m not sure if it was possible to achieve this effect previously (I never remember seeing it in any story) but the line that is created when you use three asterisks looks really good. Much better than the crap I was doing before with a bunch of dashes. Thanks!

1 Like

In theory it was possible previously as well using HTML, but it’s much easier now of course.
And it’s always a pleasure if a feature is appreciated! :slight_smile:

Today I’ve published a elaborate update which changed a lot of the internal mechanisms. I’ve tested a lot, but of course there’s always the possibility, that I’ve missed something. Please let me know if I’ve broken anything.

2018-08-10

• Added badges for users in the menu, on stories and on comments, see this posting for details
  • When approved stories are edited, the last approved version will remain visible until the update is approved (before the story would get hidden completely until approved again)
  • Redesigned the Edit Profile dialog and added new functions:
    1. Send email to author when new comments are added to his story
    2. Send email when new stories are published (Patreon only)
    3. Hide Patreon button (Patreon only)
  • Authors get rating statistics displayed on their stories (this was actually implemented long ago, but due to a bug only worked for admins)
  • List of all comments reworked to look similar as the design used for the comment list on single stories. The name of the stories’ authors is now displayed along their title.
  • Green marking of new comments now also used when listed for a story
  • Comments are now supporting Markdown and are save against malicious HTML
  • Fixed “Use forum in anonymous mode” button on the “Edit Profile” page (didn’t do anything previously)
  • Fixed browser caching issues on story display
4 Likes