Site updates

Yes, Sir!

One issue though: The list on the main page usually shows whole series, not individual stories.

I donā€™t want to show the word count of the entire series (that would also slow down the site considerably unless I do some additional coding and extend the database). So I could actually only show the word count on the last part of each series, and that would be a bit confusing.

What I can do is to show the word count on the list of individual stories, though.

1 Like

Yes perfect. In fact, I reckon if you just left the word count out of the ā€˜entire series styleā€™ windows, it would incidentally help series stick out via ā€˜uniqueness by omissionā€™

like ā€œstory, story, story, ouu a seriesā€

Hey Martin, not only do I like the word counts, but something I donā€™t recall you mentioning: one can now choose how many stories are displayed on a page. Itā€™s a little thing, but it makes searching the site so much easier. Thank you so very much!!

Glad you like that little feature, but I did mention it in the update of 2020-04-08! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another update which, besides the necessary features to show the story challenge final standing, is mainly focused on improvements of the user experience:

2020-05-10

• Implemented story challenge final standing calculation and display.
  • Several user experience improvements:
    • For the rating of stories:
      • Rating panel is now collapsed on touch screen devices to avoid accidental ratings when just trying to scroll
      • Rating panel redesigned slightly
      • Notification ā€œtoastā€ pop-up to remind the user to rate all 5 categories.
      • Automatic reminder ā€œtoastā€ pop-up to rate a story after it has been scrolled all the way down and the reader has spent at least 2 minutes with the story.
    • For bookmarks:
      • A bookmark can now be cleared by clicking the paragraph where itā€™s currently set to.
      • Both setting and clearing a bookmark takes a slightly longer click or touch (150ms), to avoid accidental setting of bookmarks.
  • Bugfixes
  • Bootstrap UI framework updated to 4.4.1

It had been a long-standing issue, that both bookmarks, as well as ratings, were obviously created by accidents on phones when the user just wanted to scroll the page. These changes are meant to resolve this. Also, I want to nudge the reader to rate and comment more consistently, because we authors are really craving for reactions from the user!

Please give me feedback if these changes are good this way, if the new ā€œtoastsā€ (the small pop-ups in the upper right corner) are not too much of a nuisance and if they are really helpful.

3 Likes

Have there been some changes to the way ratings are calculated? I know you said that they usually disregard the top and bottom ratings to come up with the average. For some reason (maybe that), the weighted averages on my latest story seem to be a lot lower than the actual averages on any given rating.

The weighted score also takes the total number of votes for your story into account. Since you only just got 12 votes so far, youā€™ll suffer from that badly.

But to be honest I just had a discussion and the penalty for a very low number of ratings might be a bit too steep nowā€¦

Sure we can drum up more then 12 votes per story easily?

Hi! Phone user here!

First of all, thanks for the update! Youā€™re always there trying to make our experience even better!

I just come from reading a story and this is what happened:

• I got surprised that I had the story bookmarked more than a dozen times, and every time that that happened I had to dismiss the ā€˜reminderā€™ of how it worked. It felt more sensitive this time than before, and certainly more distracting. I guess that I was triggering it with each scroll, or when I took a moment to finish a sentence before scrolling down. If only the reminder popped up just once I could deal with all the bookmarking with no problem.

• I almost missed the voting! lol It didnā€™t take long to find that it was collapsed in its usual place, though. I hope that now that itā€™s semi-hidden it doesnā€™t become harder to find.

And apart from that, it was a nice experience!

Thank you Piko for your feedback.

Iā€™ve changed the time you need to click on a paragraph before it tries to set a bookmark. It seems the previous value was too short. Also, Iā€™ve removed the pop up. I think it might be more harmful than useful.

The thing with the rating is problematic. Before people kept accidentally hitting the rating bars when trying to scroll the page. Thatā€™s why I hide it now by default on touch devices.

Youā€™re right, there is a good chance that this could have the effect that people rate even less. But I donā€™t know what I can do to avoid thisā€¦

1 Like

Today Iā€™ve uploaded a huge update which I have been working on for a long time. I hope you like it.

The most obvious change is the addition of user profiles and avatars. Read more about them here. The avatars will also be your public ā€˜faceā€™ on all your stories and comments.

Note that itā€™s absolutely ok to use naughty pictures (nudity etc.) for both the avatar and your profile pic. Only hard core is not allowed. See here for the details of what is allowed

Another, not immediately obvious change, is a tighter integration of the forum into the main site. Youā€™ll now see notification bubbles on the main menu if thereā€™s a new PM or posting for you in the forum:

The user profile has the potential for many other functions as well, let me know if you want to see something.

Also, since the image upload and storage infrastructure has been implemented now, it could be used for other purposes as well, like to be used in stories for example.

2020-05-22

• Implemented code to allow to upload and store pictures
  • Implemented the display of Avatars on all lists (series, stories and comments) and the stories themselves.
  • Added Profile Pages
  • Added bubbles for new PMs and other forum notifications to the main menu.
  • Bugfixes
3 Likes

I love this! Itā€™s nice for people to be able to keep track of their own ratings and favorites from a central place, and share them with others. I think itā€™s really cool and appeals to my data hungers :smiley:

Two questions:

1. is there an obvious way to change user names like you did for poor, reprogrammed Martin? This user would rather be Dace :slight_smile:

2. are the reader stats and profile privacy things set to on by default, or off by default? I imagine new users (and Iā€™m still pretty new myself) might not realize what settings are available to them when they first log in.

What a cool redesign, Martinā€¦ I mean, Sexdroid-013!

I noticed that on my author page, the stories I contributed before 2016 arenā€™t showing up. Is that just a temporary glitch?

I think itā€™s amazing.

You can use ā€œEdit Settingsā€ to change your name on the main site (the Author Name). And your forum name has to be changed separately here in the forum preferences.

The settings are on ā€œpublicā€ by default. I.e. when the border is blue, and the slider is to the right, that stats is public.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I have to work on the visual cues :slight_smile:

Thanks! Your old stories are probably just not assigned to your account. Which author name have you used for them originally?

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

No, Iā€™ve been Hypnothrill all the way, so Iā€™m not sure why they wouldnā€™t show up. Itā€™s a lot of stories too, about 20 of them.

I admit to feeling like the old guy sitting on his porch yelling about them crazy kids and their new fangled ways while pumping my shotgun and yelling to get off my lawn.

Basically Iā€™m not really a fan of all the changes. (That said thumbs up fkr all the work you put into the site Martin.)

Ps. Iā€™m thirty something and I own no weapons. Lol

Whoaā€¦this is scaryā€¦but cool! Soon weā€™ll forget your name and just know you as this drone.

2 Likes

The old stories imported from NCMC or stories which were submitted without an account are not assigned to an account by default. But theyā€™re still listed under the Author Name youā€™ve been using.

An ā€œAuthorā€ and a ā€œuserā€ are two different things (which doesnā€™t make things any easier for me ā€¦ ). Anyway, Iā€™ve assigned all your stories to your account, so youā€™ll also get to see their ratings and they will be part of your statistics. And man, did you write a lot of stories over the years!

Thank you for being honest, I appreciate that very much. Anyway,Iā€™d love to hear which aspects you donā€™t like or if thereā€™s even something you actively want to go and why.

No one will miss or even remember Martin soon!

1 Like