Site updates

Today I’ve uploaded a small update which removes the captcha requirement for everyone using an account on GSS.

I’ve also revised the way how it is determined when an rating award icon is shown on a story. The thresholds are no longer fixed, instead they’re calculated dynamically, so that the stories in the top 20% get an icon, and this is calculated for each category separately. Top 10% for silver and top 5% for gold.

The other major thing I’ve changed a couple of weeks ago is that the site now transfers about all data in a compressed form and does an even better job for cache managing. You should have seen a slight improvement in the site’s performance, especially on mobile devices. And it also had a big impact on the data transfer fees I have to pay to Amazon Web Services.

The full list of changes is, as always, in the top posting of this thread.

2019-09-23

• Captcha is now skipped for logged on users. If you hate captcha, simply create an account!
  • Changed the thresholds for the various icons to be shown at the stories. They are now dynamically calculated, so that a story needs to be in the top 20% (10% for silver, 5% for gold) ratings in each category to get the respective icon.