Since the size limit of the first thread has been reached, I’ll continue the listing of the changes of the site in this thread.
Comments, requests and bug reports can be posted in this thread or in a separate thread.
- Some long overdue bugfixes:
- Editing a comment would sometimes fail and delete the Commenter’s name from the comment
- Paging in the Author/User profile list wasn’t working properly when a letter had been selected
- List of an author’s series (as available on the author’s profile page) would display unpublished series for that author himself, which resulted in a confusing, irregular listing. Now unpublished or deleted stories are only shown in the story list, not in the series list.
- The “anon access” to the forum has been removed as it kept causing problems. Now you need to have an account and your email has to be validated to be able to write in the forum. It will remain open for reading for everybody of course.
- Fixed problems with the “edit comment” feature
- Added “clear all bookmarks” button to the “Your Bookmarks” page
- Improved the integration of the forum with the main site account system
- Improved the loading time of the main page
- Improved internal caching and performance
- The number of entries shown on the search list can now be configured
- Medals, rated, favorite- and bookmarks are now also shown on the search results
- Tried to make the rating panel more eyecatching again.
- Logo animation speed reduced to reduce load on browser
- If “Theme->Disable pusling” is active, logo animation is reduced even further and will stop after a short while
- The list of stories for authors (available through the author’s profile) will now show series first and also uses the usual filter for categories and blocked tags.
- Various bug fixes
- Added tab for latest comments to the main page (endless scrolling)
- Added tag with the list of authors who offer commissions to the main page
- Respective tabs on the main page are highlighted if there are new stories, comments, or commissioning authors
- New story or comments indicators (star or tab flashing) now also works with disabled cookies, if the user is logged in
- Finetuned bookmark settings on touch displays
- Finetuned pop up display to remind to rate a story
- Added a “Deny Approval” button to the admin dialog including a message to the author why his story has been denied.
- Various fixes and improvements
- Disabled the logo animation (spiral) for all browsers except Chrome >= 80 and FireFox >= 80 (as I could confirm it’s working there)
- Replaced the logo and lettering with a completely new design made by JoahTheo! Check out his twitter account here: https://twitter.com/joahtheo
- Comments can now be reported and admins can take care of reported comments
- List of “top rated” list will now properly reshuffle when the page is reloaded. The algorithm for the list has been tuned, too.
- Redesign of the main page
- The paging has been replaced with endless scrolling
- The “Top Rated” tab now displays the usual 5 featured top stories (which are replaced every other Saturday) but after that, an endless list of the top rated stories is now shown. This list is now adhering to the category selection and blocked tags setting.
- The “Random” tab now shows an endless list of random stories taken from the whole archive. The previous “random selection” that changed once a week is no longer available.
- More discussion about the changes on the main page: Main page redesigned and changed to "Endless scrolling"
- Also redesigned the old “All stories” page into a new “All series & stories” page:
- As the new page name implies, the page now lists series, but it can still be switched to the old list of individual stories.
- The list adheres to all filters and selections
- The table can be sorted by Author, series name and publishing date (the default).
- It’s basically offering the same functionality as the old main page (and more) for everyone preferring to use paging instead of endless scrolling.
- Many new and improved caching mechanisms to speed up the site and bring down the server load (which increased a lot due to the increased number of people visiting GSS).
- Loads of internal refactoring, cleanups, bugfixings and optimizations.
- If someone chooses to sponsor a custom amount on Sponsus instead one of the predefined tiers, he’ll now get the appropriate exclusive functions enabled depending, too
- New link “Rating categories explained” added to the rating panel. The text shown there is based on Mr. Sandmans recent posting.
- Integrated Sponsus into GSS
- Added a special funding page to explain the motivation and mechanics of sponsoring
- Added subscription option for Authors and Series, email notification and a filter option (for “Special Features” sponsors only)
- Added option to allow authors to promote their service to write stories on commission on their profile page. Also added a list of these commissionees.
- Added new main menu item “Authors” which now contains all author-related functions.
- Changed user icons: Author icon changed (pen in a square), added special icon for “Commissionee” (golden pen) and added icon for Special Feature supporters.
- Many bugfixes and smaller changes.
- Ratings from logged on users count 5 times as much as those given from anon users. The reason for the change is that I’ve seen obvious attempts to “up-rate” certain stories using anon users.### 2020-07-15
- Removed Patreon from the site
- Fixed serious bug which could swallow a submitted story text if there was some other field wasn’t properly filled. Now the text will show up again as submitted in that case.
- Minimum number of tags raised to 4, one of the tags “1st”, “2nd” or “3rd person” now mandatory.
- Story submission page does almost all checks client side now, i.e. the user gets feedback if something is missing even before the page is submitted.
- Bugfix in handling story edit revisions (the Base version got updated even though it wasn’t supposed to).
- Many optimizations for memory footprint and caching
- Honor browser or OS setting to reduce animation (pulsing disabled if accessibility setting to disable animations is set).
- “List of favorite stories” (from a user’s profile or the user’s own list) now lists series with at least one story marked favorite, instead of listing the stories themselves
- “Favourite” renamed to “Favorite” throughout the site
- Favorite stories are now marked with a symbol in all lists
- Rating markers (medals) and bookmark markers fetched asynchronously
- Word counter now reflects the currently displayed revision
- Reorganized code and other changes to improve performance
- “Statistics” and “Admin panel” separated
- “Active filter” message pop up reduced to once a week
- “Safe mode” message pop up reduced to once every 3rd day
- Updated to GORM 7.0.3
- Various Bugfixes (for hidden authors and other stuff)
- Story Challenges now have the option to “hide authors”. Using that, all authors are hidden, until the final standings are available and shown.
- Also, when this mode is active, each author can only submit a single story.
- On the profile page, panels set to “private” don’t show up at all anymore.
- Stories you’ve already rated are now marked with a blue checkmark (only when logged in!).
- Added Amazon as an external link on the profile page.
- Redesign of the home page story list. For series, the latest story entry is now listed completely with summary and title, additionally to the series data.
- All story listings now include the word count
- On all places where single stories are listed, the series it belongs to is now also shown.
- Direct links from third party sites (Discord, Facebook, Twitter etc.) to GSS’ stories and the personal user pages now include the author’s avatar picture.
- The pulsing of the buttons for “Top Stories” and “Random stories” has been removed. An update of those contents is now shown using the usual green star.
- In the User Profiles, most of the lists (top rated, most favorite etc.) now show the series, not the stories. This way, repeated listings of stories of the same series are avoided.
- The list of bookmarked stories is now sorted by date of the bookmark (latest on top) by default.
- The author name can now be changed directly on the user profile page (click the name)
- Removed ‘Google Analytics’ (was used to collect usage statistics)
- The site is now protected against attacks using CloudFlare
- “Overall” ranking in the author’s ratings panel was showing wrong numbers.
- For community series, the actual author of a chapter is now properly shown.
- Menu bar is no longer obscuring the title of pop up modal dialogs on mobile devices.
- Improved caching