A Picture and an Idea

Hey All,

I’ve been busy finishing up leaving my last job and preparing to move so I haven’t had as much time to write as I would like to. Hopefully, I’ll get back to writing my stories sometime soon. But in the meantime, I’ve been inspired by a number of stories on the site but also by a video on Instagram.

The original video is just showing the wear of a pair of old school style Lee Jeans, but the image lends itself naturally to the kinds of stories we write. I’m currently thinking about a store based on this image where denim (and the dye in the denim) is the means of control as well as an social app. But I would like to hear what you guys would do to turn this image into a story. So please feel free to throw your ideas this way.

I love photo-prompts. I’d have to go with the classic cursed-item idea. A disappoving father/ father-in-law gives them as a gift to bring the boy in line. Even the dye idea, maybe it stains someone’s hands, spreading like a virus. Are there 41 other men out there somewhere? It looks like it might be in a clothing store so maybe the father( in law) takes the man shopping. Maybe the store is called 42 and the man is now a mannequin.

1 Like

Thanks for the response; that’s an interesting idea. I never would’ve thought along those lines. The dye line you’re proposing is really interesting as Japanese brands like Momotaro actually use Japanese indigo to dye the thread and that could always be the basis of control. It could be a combination of the dye and the dyer’s sweat as he works the dye in the cotton that makes the hypnosis possible.

I’m a denimhead and I want to write a story involving that; this picture really does fuels that desire. It’s definitely something worthy of working into a scene.

1 Like